Post Your Own Work

 New Fan Works  Old Fan Works  Zelda Series  Multimedia  Features  Interactive  Site Info
[Reviews - 14] Printer Chapter or Story
- Text Size +
The Legend of Zelda: The Three Sapphires


Chapter one: The Shadow Revealed


Hyrule was awakening.

The bright sun was just peaking over the trees, shining dim light on the sacred land. The sands of Gerudo Valley lit up, sparkling in the early morning. Lake Hylia was hit with the dazzling light, and it too shone like a beacon to weary travelers outside of Hyrule. Lon Lon Ranch was hit with the beautiful sunlight, and it fell on the figure of a ranch girl with red hair that shone gracefully in the sun. Malon looked up at the rising sun, and smiled. Another day for work.

Princess Zelda, who lay in her bed in the castle next to a large window high up in one of the towers, peered out at the dazzling sun. she squinted, and then looked down at Hylia City and Hyrule Field. She could even make out the faint line on the horizon that signified the far eastern woods. Kokiri Forest.

The princess stared out at everything, savoring the happiness that was swelling within her. Another big day, and to make it even better, they were throwing a party out on the Castle Grounds. Months of preparation, and now it was finally here.

Zelda jumped out of bed and began to get on her normal dress.

Miles away from the castle, Within Kokiri Forest, inside a small house, and laying in a bed that was far too small for him, was a man of about 17. He was garbed in green clothes, with a matching hat. A gleaming sword was hanging on the wall above him, along with his shield.

This man was Link, hero of time. The man who had slain Ganondorf with a blazing sword, the man who, by himself, distroyed a tainted mask from another land.

The bright sunlight crept into Link’s room, and fell upon his face, as if to say “wake up! Wake up!”

Link opened his eyes slowly, and looked around at the brightly lit room. He quickly sat up and smiled to himself.

Today was the day of the party. He had helped the Royal Council plan it, and had worked alongside Zelda to make it all happen. After so long with just labor and toil, the party was finally here. And it was going to be great.

Everybody in Hyrule was invited. Once Ganondorf had been vanquished, all the races of Hyrule had put aside their differences and became friends. Of course, it helped that there was a sage from each race.

Link was sitting in a very odd position. His legs were draped over the end of his tiny bed, and were lodged firmly in between the dresser and his bed. He twisted himself out and fell right onto the floor.

“Ouch!” he said. He pushed himself up, and grabbed his sword and shield off the wall.

After putting them both onto his back, the elf walked out into Kokiri Village. Several of the children were already up, and running around. Link climbed down the ladder, and jogged over to Epona, his faithful brownish–red horse that had helped Link in his ventures. He hopped onto her, and they rode out of the Village. Some of the Kokiri’s called out bye’s to him.

He emerged into the vast fields of Hyrule, which stretched out in every direction. He grinned as he felt the wind soar over him. It felt great. He patted Epona as they rode out further, destined for Hylia City. The gates were to open in 15 minutes. Link would probably get there in 30.

Malon was feeding the horses when Ingo walked in with a horrible smirk on his face. Malon turned, and, seeing it was him, turned back to keep feeding the horses.

“Whassamatter Malon?” Ingo said. Malon already knew by the way he was slurring his words that he had been drinking. She turned furiously on him, and, when Ingo saw how angry she was, stopped walking toward her.

“What do you want, Ingo?” snapped Malon impatiently.

“Nufink...” he said blearily, “just paying a visit to my girl.”

“For the last time, I AM NOT YOUR GIRL!” she shouted, disgusted. “Your near 30, and I am only 17. What’s wrong with you?”

Ingo grinned. His foul breath immediately reached out and Malon smelt it. She fought back the urge to puke.

“Get out,” she ordered. She said nothing more. Ingo was slightly stunned. How many times had she said that to him? He turned and angrily stumbled out of the stables.

10 minutes later, Talon walked in, holding two armfuls of hay. He saw how furious Malon looked. so he set the hay down, and walked over to his daughter, concerned.

“Is something wrong?” he asked her. She stared at a horse for a second, before answering.

“Ingo, that’s what’s wrong.”


Talon sighed. “I know you don’t like him, but he’s a good worker, and we need him!”

“He keeps calling me his girl!” yelled Malon angrily. “He drinks all the time! And he frightens me!”

Talon rubbed his eyes tiredly. “Look Malon, you know me. You know that if I could afford it, I would fire Ingo the first moment I had the chance. But I can’t. There’s nobody else. Nobody! And if we must put up with his rank, we will. Until we get up enough money, Ingo must continue to work here.”

“But where does he keep getting the ale?” Malon questioned.

“I don’t know, but that’s the least of our problems. We need to work harder if we are to continue to get payed by the Royal Council. They offer us a fair wage for what we sell.”

“Horses and crops,” Malon stated dryly. “That’s all.”

“Well,” Talon said, “yes. That’s all we have.”

Malon sighed impatiently and attempted to feed the horses more hay. But they had eaten a lot and refused to swallow another bite.

She threw down the hay and said “I have to get ready for the party.”

She walked out of the stables, leaving Talon to stand there, lost for words.

Link galloped into the grounds of Hyrule Castle, and saw that the party decorations and tables and fireworks were already out. People were rushing in and out of the castle, getting provisions and everything. He dismounted Epona and ran over to Zelda, who was helping put up a sign. She stopped when she saw him. Her heard skipped a few beats when she saw him, and it did for him also.

“Hey!” the Princess said, and ran over to him. They hugged for a second, then broke apart, and looked at the decorations that were going up.

“It’s gonna be great,” Link stated. He looked over at Zelda, and she nodded in agreement.

“My father says that it’s the biggest party we’ve ever thrown in Hyrule. And it cost the most money.”

“I am sure he’s right. I mean, look at all this!” Link gestured at the decorations. They filled up the entire grounds. In a few hours, thousands of people were going to be here. Maybe even millions, counting the people who were going to be at the party in the market.

“Is Nabooru coming as well?” inquired Zelda.

“I believe so,” Link replied, “she said she will probably be able to make it. She seems to be worried lately about something. What it is, I cannot say.”

“Hmm,” the Princess said absently. She knew Nabooru well, and wasn’t very concerned about her worries. Had she been less preoccupied, she would have taken the spirit sages worries into deeper thought.

But today was to be a fun day.

Malachai stood trembling in the dark clearing of the forest that was on the left side of Hylia City. He stared into a large towering shadow. The shadow was lear 10 feet tall, and it had no features. It was just the form of a tall man. It only had two fiercely gleaming red eyes, but that was it.

“Malachai, I am sick of your pathetic whimpering!” roared the shadow. Malachai cowered at it’s feet.

“P-p-please my lord, forgive me. It is difficult to find your requested items when I have no idea where to look!”

“DID I ASK YOU FOR ANNOTHER ONE OF YOUR FUCKING EXCUSES?!!” bellowed the shadow. Malachai forced himself to look up at those piercing red eyes.

“W-what am I to do?”

“You are to go to the party. You question, and you find answers. When you have any information, you return here. And if you do not return by tonight, I will hunt you down and kill you. Do you understand me?”

“Y-yes, my lord,” Malachai said. He bowed, and then ran from the forest. The shadow leaned back against a tree and thought quietly about his plan. If he was to ever return to power, it had to be soon.

Link sat on a ledge on Hyrule Castle with Zelda next to him, overlooking all of Hyrule. The pair looked out at Hyrule Field, and Lon Lon Ranch. A lone figure was riding out of the entrance toward Hylia City. Link guessed it was Malon.

The Hero of Time looked over at Zelda. He was again getting caught up in her beauty. Her ocean blue eyes, her beautiful shining blond hair, her smooth skin. He looked at her face, and her incredible beauty entranced him. A sudden urge to lean over and kiss her tugged at him. He sighed inwardly. If only he had the courage to tell her.

“Look,” the princess pointed. Link followed her finger and saw that she was pointing at the peak of Death Mountain. A small figure stood at the peak, looking out at Hyrule like they were.

Link laughed. It was Darunia. He watched the goron leader for a second, then used his mind, and contacted him.

"HEY!"

Darunia jerked with surprise, then relaxed. It was Link contacting him through the mind touch.


"Look at the castle!"


Darunia looked at the castle. He could barely see a thing because of how far away he was. He squinted, looking up and down the towers. He was about to give up, when he saw two figures sitting in minuscule chairs. They seemed to be watching him. He grinned.

"I see you."

Link laughed.


The decorations were set. Everyone at the castle was ready. And Hyrule itself seemed to be getting ready for the big event that was only minutes away.

Nabooru was galloping toward Hylia City, along with many other Gerudo’s. Darunia was rolling down the slopes of Death Mountain, with many other Goron’s. Princess Ruto was swimming down the stream that led into Hylia City, with several Zora’s behind her. Malon and Talon were riding toward Hylia City as well.

Nearly every being in Hyrule was on their way to the party.

They arrived quickly, and the party began. Almost everyone came onto the grounds, filling most of it up. Link and Zelda walked out of the Castle, and saw the thousands of people crowding the lawns.

“Do you think they like it?” she asked, sounding nervous.

Link looked at Zelda incredulously. “LOOK at them! Of course they like it!”

Zelda smiled, and they hurried into the party.

Hours and hours passed, and nobody ever left Hylia City. Everyone was having fun. The Zora’s sang in the center of the market, and the goron’s halfway through put on a drum show for whoever wanted to watch. Many people did, including Link and Zelda. Nabooru felt slightly out of place with all the citizens of Hyrule around. The gerudo’s had always been a separate race, but ever since Ganondorf, everyone in Hyrule had banded together to work together in case an evil like that ever returned. The spirit sage was in constant fear of his return because she never knew for sure if he had the power to break out of the Evil Realm.

Link and Zelda knew the truth though. But they were the only ones besides the sages.

A couple hours later, when the sun was finally beginning to set, yet the party went on as fun as ever, Zelda sat on a fence a bit away from the party, watching Link spar with one of his friends, Baltus. She watched his graceful movements. She loved the way he fought. He was so good at it. The princess looked at his muscles as he worked. He was very strong. She looked at his face, and those sky blue eyes that she so often got lost in. She sighed. Why did she hold it in?

Malon walked over to the princess and sat down beside her. Zelda did not even notice her until she said, “I see that you like Link, aye?”

Zelda turned very quickly to Malon. So quickly in fact, that she cricked her neck. Rubbing it, she said “whatever gave you that impression?”

“Oh come on,” Malon said, “it’s obvious. You’re always staring at him, and all I need to do is read the signs.”

“Yeah,” admitted Zelda, “I do love him. But I don’t have the courage to tell him.”

“That’s alright, tell him when you’re ready.” Malon said, patting her on the back. “A lot of girls liked Link. But they eventually got over him. How long have you liked him?”

“I’ve loved him since we first met.”

“Oh, oh my,” Malon said, putting a hand to her lips.

“What? What is it?”

“Um, princess, if you only liked him, it would have gone away after about a week after you met him.”

Zelda looked back at Link.

“I love him,” she confessed to herself. “But how can I tell him?”

“Wait for the right time,” Malon assured her. “Then you will have enough courage.”

She left her to ponder her words.


The sky darkened, and night fell. Many people got tired, and some went home. Other’s stayed, but eventually people left, and the decorations remained. Link was about to pack it in and ask Zelda if he could stay at the castle the night, when he saw a black figure with another figure that was down by the road.

One figure was standing over another, hunched over figure. Link quickly ran over to them, but at once the black figure began to sprint away. Link ran over to the hunched figure to discover that the man was bound and gagged. Link untied him and saw that he was bruised and bloody, a lot. Hundreds of cuts circled his body, and two big bruises swelled his left eye shut.

“Malachai,” spluttered the man, “sapphires, blood, STOP HIM, THE SAPPHIRES IN THE WOODS!”

“Wh-what?” Link said, holding the man steady. He gasped and lurched away from Link. He ran off into the darkness, howling. He had been beaten to insanity, Link realized with horror.

Link turned and saw the man named Malachai sprinting down into the market. Link ran after him in hot persuit.

Malachai was puffing out in short gasps. But he dare not stop. He had to get back to his master and tell him the news.

Link tore after him, pushing through stunned Hylians who were walking through the city to go back to their houses. Link followed him to the gate, and over it, and out onto Hyrule Field. Malachai banked right, and Link ran after him, being sure to keep in the shadows so he would not be seen by him.

They quickly reached the far right side, and Malachai dove into a patch of woods. Link ran inside too, and tiptoed quietly after Malachai.

Malachai reached a clearing, and Link stayed in the surrounding wood, watching.

The clearing was small and dark because of overhanging branches. Link looked at Malachai, and then around the clearing. He saw nothing, and was about to leave, when his heart stopped.

He stared into the clearing on the far side, and saw a huge, towering shadow with huge gleaming red eyes. Malachai bowed before him and said shakily, “m-my lord, I bring news of the sapphires.”

“Well?!” the shadow yelled impatiently.

“According t-to my s-s-sources, the sapphires exist and are in Hyrule somewhere.”

“I ALREADY KNEW THAT SHIT!” roared the shadow. “IS THAT ALL?!”

Malachai began to sob. It was pitiful, and frightening for Link to see a fully grown man sobbing like a baby on the ground.

“I talked to everyone, but nobody knew anything else! Please my lord...NO! NO MY LORD PLEASE! PLEASE DON–“

Malachai was cut short, as the shadow swung out a huge arm with something gleaming in his hand. The next second, Malachai fell to the forest floor, and his head hit the ground next to him in a shower of blood.

Link fought back the urge to scream in fear. Who was this ruthless shadow? What were these sapphires? Link ran, away from the shadow and the decapitated Malachai. He shoved his way out of the forest and ran back to Hylia City, and inside just before the gate closed.

“Cutting it a bit close, aren’t we?” a guard said, but Link pushed past him and ran back up to the grounds.

Zelda was walking back up to the castle, when she turned and saw Link sprinting toward her. She noticed at once that he was tired out of his mind, his eyes wide in fear, and he was dirty.

“Link? What happened?” Zelda asked fearfully.

The elf ran up to Zelda, gasping for air. He slouched down and grabbed her hand for support. He stood up straight, and managed to tell her about what he had just seen.

Zelda was just as afraid as Link.

“I have never heard of any hidden sapphires,” the princess admitted. “But they must be important to kill a man for them.”

“We must find out what they are,” Link gasped, still puffing air. “I have a terrible feeling that if that shadow gets it’s hands on them, something terrible will happen.”

“I know,” Zelda said, “we must. But first, let’s get some sleep. We all need it, especially you.”

She wrapped her arm around him, and helped him into the castle. That night, Link slept in Zelda’s quarters, on a couch in her main room. She was in her bed in a different side room.

Link stared up at the far ceiling, pondering about the shadow and the sapphires he spoke of. What were they? And what was their significance?

He as about to find out.


Enter the security code shown below:
 Sections
The "Post Your Own Work" section is powered by eFiction. To get it for your site, go to www.efiction.org.