The Sage of Elements by Elflord
Summary: A new Evil. A new Hero. A new Legend. Note: Only the prolouge is in first person. I made it this way because I felt it was easier to describe from the character's point of view. But when Link, Zelda, and my character go on different paths I want to be able to follow all of them.
Categories: Fan Fiction Characters: Zelda, Link (OoT & MM)
Genres: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 1915 Read: 58854 Published: Jul 31, 2004 Updated: Mar 30, 2005

1. Introduction by Elflord

2. The First Battle by Elflord

3. The Giant by Elflord

4. The Fall by Elflord

Introduction by Elflord
I am a sage. But not just any sage. I was created by the goddesses themselves and deemed too powerful to unleash upon Hyrule. So they locked me into the Sacred Realm. I stayed there, waiting for them to let me out. I came to hate Hyrule and it’s residents. Then, on that one fateful day, when Zelda banished Ganondorf to the Sacred Realm, I took his place. The pain was excruciating. I felt like I was being ripped in half. I was sent to the past, the timeline the princess sent Link. But, in the seven years until Link became an adult again, I learned Hyrule was a place to fight for, not fight against. My powers were taught to me by the sages, only they know of my special role. I am the sage of elements. Although I never had a real name, everyone I know calls me Elm. I am experienced with twin swords and of course, magic. I have black hair, and eyes and the normal Hylian ears. For some reason unknown even to me I seem to love wearing black cloaks.
Lately it’s been getting dark in Hyrule. I think a new evil is coming. Seven years ago I would have fought with it. Nowadays I feel the goddesses planned it all. This will be, a test of my loyalty.
The First Battle by Elflord
Elm walked along the musky corridors of Hyrule castle hugging the walls. He was as skilled as the Sheikah in hiding in the shadows. A couple of guards were given away by the sound of their armor banging against their bodies. Elm swiftly slipped into a dark corner, becoming invisible. The guards passed him by, ‘Rather hurriedly’ Elm thought. He shrugged it off and continued on towards the courtyard entrance. ‘There won’t be many shadows there, I’ll have to be careful’ Elm whispered to himself. Slowly, he opened the old oak door and peeked outdoors. Every single living thing was killed. Excluding the plants.
‘Oh shit’ he thought.
Elm ran at full speed, leaping over hedges when he had to, to get to the princess. He came around that corner right in front of the archway leading to where Zelda was waiting. He ran under it and witnessed an amazing sight. A man in a mask and clothed in black robes fought Link, both were landing quite a few blows with their fists. Elm saw Zelda crouched on the small footbridge and scurried over to her. He kneeled beside her asking, ‘What happened?’. Apparently she was too stunned to talk because she didn’t answer. The robed man managed to get his hands on his sword and swung at Link’s legs. Link jumped back but the villian was still able to nick him. Link screamed out of a horrible pain, Zelda and Elm grimaced, his eyes rolled backwards and he collapsed.
“Link!” Zelda cried, trying to run over to him but Elm held her back. He walked forward, making sure Zelda stayed where she was.
“You bastard,” He growled, “That was my friend!” Flame appeared on his hands and revenge burned in his eyes. The fire extended like tentacles towards the evil figure and wrapped around him. Elm somehow through his mind, told the fire to squeeze. The man managed to get out of the flame’s grip and charge Elm. He wagged his finger, “Uh-uh.”. Elm unsheathed his twin swords and parried.
“Meet my friends, Judge and Jury,” he said as he blocked a few more blows “And they find you..” he blocked another blow and thrust his sword into the man’s chest, “..guilty!”
Zelda ran over to Link and crouched by his side. Elm walked over and bent down towards Link. He placed his index finger at Link’s neck.
“He’s still alive,” Elm stated, “Help me bring him inside.”
Zelda took him by his feet and Elm by his arms. Together they managed to get him inside and to the infirmary.

Dinner that day was a quiet one. The food was bland in their mouth, for they were too worried about Link. Elm, and Zelda talked together in the relaxation room. Which was a room set up where servants and other guests and residents come to read or play board games, sometimes just take a nap. The fire slowly went out and the two Hylians grew silent and fell asleep.
The Giant by Elflord
Elm woke to a scream. He looked to where Zelda slept on the chair. ‘Thank goddesses she’s still there’ He got up to investigate. Walking towards the door at a steady, but slower than normal rate, his hand reached out to touch the doorknob. It inched closer until it was a centimeter away and then, he stopped. Something was not right. He bent down a little to look through the keyhole…
And found a catlike eye staring back at him.

“Oh shit!” Elm yelled. He ran over to Zelda. “Zelda, wake up, c’mon princess wake up!”
She woke up startled. The door shattered like glass sending slivers of wood into the walls, and Elm’s leg. He turned around set eyes on a monstrous, grime covered, one-eyed, half-witted behemoth of a moblin.
“You must be a pure-bred.”
Roaaar!
“Move!” he grabbed Zelda’s arm, slid her under the beast’s massive legs, and did the same after her. It let off a confused grunt.
They ran down the stone stairs fast, but it was tough, with the constant tremors from the giant moblin running behind them. Finally the light at the end of the tunnel appeared(in this case, the bottom of the stairs) when the moblin scooped them up.
“Nuts” The moblin brought him to his face. Elm realized he couldn’t beat this thing with brawn, he’d have to use his wit.
Shouldn’t be too hard.’ He looked up. A few awkward moments passed.
Finally curiosity got the better of the monster, and it looked up too. Elm, through magic, made a brick fall onto the creature’s head, knocking it out. It fell backward and because of it’s heavy weight and smashed through the stairs. Now if a normal sized man with a normal amount of mass somehow fell through the stairs he would normally stop at the next floor. But this thing isn’t a normal sized man. It’s body crashed through the next floor, and the next, and the next, picking up momentum each floor until they reached the basement, which happened to be the pantry. Elm pushed the large fingers off of him and stepped off it’s hand. He helped Zelda out too. Her hair was amiss and she looked rather disheveled. Elm picked up an apple from one of the many buckets full of them and bit into it. He chewed and swallowed.
“Let’s go.”
The Fall by Elflord
They made their way past the rubble, sometimes having to dig through, to the stairs.
“Damn,” Elm brushed off dirt from his cloak.
Zelda spoke for the first time in a while “We must see Link, he could be in danger.”
Elm nodded, a grim look on his face. He pulled a sword out of it’s sheath, and ran up the steps before the princess. The kept running silently, for a long ways, about ten or so flights.. It was eerily quiet, enough to really creep a person out. Not that it worried Elm. No, he’d come to like silence. Then it was broken. Just like that an echoing scream pierced the air, vibrating in their eardrums, and causing them to flinch in pain. Emotional pain, that is. It only made them run faster. As they neared the hospital ward the air got colder, until it was so chilly that Elm shivered. He stopped in front of the door. There was a coating of red ice under and in front of it.
“Oh Goddesses.” he whispered, his breath curling before him. Zelda shivered. Elm tried to open the door, but it was locked. So he lifted his leg, his cloak fell to his side, revealing his body and limbs. With tremendous strength he kicked the door open, and at the same time the force caused his leg to slip out from under him, falling flat on his backside, and snapping his head back, which hit the ice. This gave him a dizzying headache. But he quickly got up, and saw something he didn’t want to see. A massacre. With Link smack-dab in the middle, breathing heavily. His skin was pale white, he had dark circles under his eyes, and eyes of pure black. Elm couldn’t see his past friend in this man. If you could call it that. Zelda screamed, although it was more of a high pitched wail. The former Link covered his ears, when the castle started to crumble. Zelda stopped screaming. Elm grabbed the princess and started to run for the stairs, when he realized they would never make it down so many flights before the building came down and crushed them. So he ran for a window instead. The moat would save them.
“What are you doing!?” Zelda’s eyes widened.
“Pushing you out a window!” he yelled over the thunder of a falling palace.
“What!?”
“You heard me!” A brick caught him on the shoulder as he flung her out a casement.
He winced in pain and threw himself out too, after sheathing his sword. The wind rushed by him, and falling debris seemed to hang at his side. He yelled at Zelda as loud as he could to go into the moat feet first, but he wasn’t sure she could hear him. She put her feet in front of her though, so she might’ve. Zelda hit the water first, then Elm, they managed to go under quite a ways. Brick splashed around them when the two got to the surface, making it just that much harder to get to shore. They managed though, and crawled onto land coughing and spluttering. Zelda plopped onto her stomach, and stayed there. Elm however, stood up after a moment and watched the castle disintegrate. Suddenly, it let out a great roar and fell down all at once, producing a humongous dust cloud and an even larger pile of rubble.
Elm sighed, and hung his head. After a moment, villagers piled in to see what the large rumble was. Horrified gasps of stunned men and women passed through the crowd like a wave through the ocean. Elm turned to them and spoke.
“It is probably best to search for survivors.”
It took the whole day, but with a force of 60 they managed to get down pretty far and rescue many people. However as they got deeper the work became grueling, and near impossible. Soon the rescue team gave up. Anyone buried in that can’t possibly be alive.
Late that night, Zelda and Elm checked into a hotel. It was a long and tedious day, and they needed their rest. They walked into the room. Elm said he’d sleep in the bed nearest the door, in case anything happened. He turned to the wall as Zelda undressed. He heard her say “Okay.”, then turned around and undressed himself. He slipped into bed, listening to Zelda cry herself to sleep, and then he too drifted into unconsciousness
This story archived at http://www.kasuto.net/efiction/viewstory.php?sid=700